Monastery of the past and today

In the past

Today

In the past

Today

Premonstratensians church-monastic team is located on a hill in a picturesque bend of the Vistula River near New Brzesko. It is the most valuable monuments of medieval and modern architecture in Galicia. We do not know as presented to the church in medieval times, but it was probably a wooden building. Brick building, which survived until today, was built about half of the thirteenth century.

Expansion of the church and the monastery began in the second half of the seventeenth century, Abbot Melchior Olszewski.
ski Monastery played a huge role in our history, and especially in the history of instilling a culture. In 1819, after almost 670 years of continuous work in the valley of the Vistula, Premonstratensians after the dissolution of a religious order, were forced to leave his seat. From that moment started a continuous process of destruction of an abandoned building. In 1949 the Order of the Piarist took over the monastery of and responsibility for the parish of Bishop of the Diocese of Kielce – JEC Kaczmarek. Despite long-standing concern for the entrusted property, it required a thorough repair. Piarists put the target to revitalization of the team and restoring the former charm for themselves. For this purpose they approached of requiring the very expensive repairs and maintenance. With the acquisition of external funds monastery regained its former glory.

Moreover, the renovation and restoration work revealed a number of interesting murals and architectural solutions, which have not previously been known:on the reception room was discovered in the Renaissance city plan (probably Magdeburg), found in polychromes that are now displayed under glass floor. A north gallery was reconstructed from scratch, thanks to that wefts were discovered wendyjskie, in a meeting room of the Abbot a complete conservation of the polychromy was conducted, however in the Room St Norbert – most representative, polychromes and stuccoes were subjected to the conservation. Today the church-monastic team in Hebdów is gleaming, as – perhaps – never so far, he returned to the former magnificence and gained the new face.

The monastery in the past

The monastery today